Challenge 4 – War and Peace

utility 1

Mitt bidrag till april månads utmaning är en ylledräkt baserad på de ransonerings regler som infördes i Storbritannien 1941. Jag har använt mig av make do and mend andan som genomsyrade krigsåren genom att sy om en gamla medleltidsklänning. Klänningen i sig var helt ok men tygets mönster och struktur passade mycket bättre till 40-tal än till medeltid. Fodertyget, knapparna och blixtlåset till kjolen kommer också det från stashen. Kjolen är sydd i sex våder, och mönstret är ett utility mönster från boken ”Vintage dresspatterns from the 20th century”. Jackmönstret i boken var kraglöst och författaren hävdade att det var helt enligt ransonerings reglerna men när jag kikade runt på bilder från tiden hittade jag inte ett enda exempel på en kraglös dräktjacka så istället till har jag använt mig av Simplicitys 3688. I enlighet med ransoneringsreglerna har jag bara fyra knappar i framkant och inga knappar på ärmarna eller andra dekorationer. Dekorationssömmarna ska enligt regleringen totalt vara högst fyra meter, mina blev tyvärr 39 centimeter för långa. Tyget är dessutom producerat i England, någonting som även det är enligt reglementet.

1942 English Utility 1942 - utility suit by Digby Morton
Två exempel på Brittiska utility dräkter från 1942, two examples of British utility suits from 1942

My contribution to the April challenge is a tweed suit based on the British Utility suits from the 1941 rations regulations. I have worked according to the make do and mend spirit that was in the war years by re-sewing an old medieval gown. The gown itself was fine but the pattern and texture of the fabric is more sutibel for the 1940’s then the 1340’s. The lining fabric, buttons and the zipper for the skirt also comes from my stash. The skirt is made of six pieces  and the pattern is a utility pattern from the book ”Vintage dresspatterns from the 20th century”. The pattern for the jacket in the book was collarless and the author claimed that it was in line with the regulations but when I looked at pictures from the time I didn’t find a single example of a collarless suit so I decided to use the Simplicitys 3688 pattern for the jacket. According to the regulations I have only four buttons in the front and no other decorations (like buttons at the arms). The decorative stitches should not be longer than a total of four meters, alas mine are 39 cm to long. The fabric is produced in Britannia, something that also follows the regulations. 

Rutor utility

Från medeltidsklänning till 40-tals dräkt, from a medieval gown to a 1940’s suit.

Litteratur: Anne Tyrell Vintage dresspatterns from the 20th century Batsford Books (2013)

The challenge: #4 War and Peace

Fabric: 3 meter British tweed, 1,5m modern lining fabric

Pattern: Skirt from Anne Tyrell Vintage dresspatterns from the 20th century, jacket from Simplicitys 3688

Year: 1942

Notion: zipper, five plastic buttons, shoulder pads and fusible interlining.

How historical accurate is it? Probably 80%, the zipper is plastic and I used a fusible interlining instead of a period padding.

Hours to complete: About 8 days.

First worn: Not counting the times for sizing and photos, not yet.

Total cost: The fabric was part of my bargain find, $ 6,94 for 3 meters. The lining fabric was given to me by my mother and the notions al came from an inherited stash (originally bought by my grandmother)

Annonser

Kommentera

Fyll i dina uppgifter nedan eller klicka på en ikon för att logga in:

WordPress.com Logo

Du kommenterar med ditt WordPress.com-konto. Logga ut / Ändra )

Twitter-bild

Du kommenterar med ditt Twitter-konto. Logga ut / Ändra )

Facebook-foto

Du kommenterar med ditt Facebook-konto. Logga ut / Ändra )

Google+ photo

Du kommenterar med ditt Google+-konto. Logga ut / Ändra )

Ansluter till %s